Joanna Burnett is an experienced counsellor with over 15 years working in private practice family organisations and more than 10 years employed in a clinical mental health facility. She is an accredited mental health and family violence social worker experienced in complex trauma and completed advanced training in forensic mental health.
She provides supervision in social work for graduate social workers and university students. Click here to find a social worker.
Jo also specialises in family separation issues and works with a family mediation service called Family Mediation Station as well as counselling/support for people either going through or after separation who may still be having a difficult time with ongoing ex family members.
Jo is conducting a research study in family law mediation working in collaboration with Fedorov Family Lawyers and Southern Cross University. Jo has presented her research at a number of conferences including The Australian Dispute Resolution Research Network.
Jo uses her experience and training in an evidence-based way to provide therapeutic approaches for individuals, relationship issues, adult survivors of child abuse, complex family situations and older persons.
Jo is experienced in range of psychologically focused strategies and trauma informed practice methods to support people through their recovery.
Jo is a Medicare Provider, NSW Victims of Crime counsellor, DVA provider, NDIS registered and fee for service. She is available for consultations in her rooms in Burleigh Heads, Kirra, and by web-based consultations.
I have compiled a list of resources and websites that I commonly refer people to, although there are many online help service and resources, some of them can be less helpful or costly than others. It can be difficult to know who or what is good out there. I am still adding to this list….
Controlling relationships and domestic abuse resources for women
- Book “look what you made me do” by journalist/author Jess hill. Excellent book and credible author on relationship abuse between men and women
- Financial advisor Helen Baker website for women
- “Penda” – Free app to guide family law information
Controlling relationships and resources for men
- Free financial counsellor directory (government accredited professionals)
- Free National Debt line
- Money Smart Website – Free government online tool to assess your financial position
Mental Health & Crisis resources
Violence & Abuse
If you have experienced violence as an adult or child when you were in NSW you can apply for counselling. If you would like me as your counsellor you can nominate me in your application to NSW Victim Services, this service will cover the cost if you are eligible. In many cases, you do not have had to reported it to the police, let Victim Services decide if you are eligible.
- NSW victim services
- Adult Survivors of child abuse – As a counsellor trained in complex trauma I recommend this website for resources
- Book for healing PTSD / trauma I would recommend reading: The Body keeps the Score; Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma Book by Bessel van der Kolk
- Children and Divorce resources
Children counselling help online or by phone
Older persons and carers
Funding for people who are less able bodied or minded (mental health)
NDIS – 1800 800 110
- PROTECTING YOUR PRIVACY
Your personal information and stories will always remain confidential. Jo is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information. She complies with the following laws and practice standards relating to privacy and health records:
- The Australian Association of Social Workers Guidelines and Code of Ethics
- The Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth)
- Recommendations, guidelines and policies set down by the Australian Information Commissioner
- QLD State legislation
- Queensland Information Privacy Act 2009
Your personal information will be kept protected. Information collected will not be shared with other people or organisations unless you consent or if there is a substantial reason to believe that you or others are at significant risk of harm. This is part of our mandatory reporting obligations and duty of care. You have the right to access personal information, reports and your documents.
Counselling with Jo is voluntary. You may change your mind or withdraw at any time from my support.
Video conference and in person (Burleigh Heads and Tweed Area) appointments are available from Monday – Saturday.
To book an appointment please fill out the contact form here
Monday to Friday – 9am to 5pm
Saturdays – 10am to 4pm
Home and outreach visits in local Burleigh area conditions apply.
- FEE SCHEDULE
|50min Session||$180.00 per session||Medicare*
|50min Session||$240.00 per couple session||Medicare *
Bulk Billing (conditions apply*)
* Medicare rebates available under the Mental Health Care Plan
- APPROVED GOVERNMENT FUNDING
Jo is approved under the following state and Federal government funding schemes
- Medicare Provider under Better Access in Mental Health
- Department of Veteran Affairs
- NSW Victims of Crime
- National Disability Insurance Scheme
As well as fee for service (prices as listed)
To Book an appointment
You can contact Jo on her mobile or via the form below
0422 453 935
P.O. Box 62 Burleigh Heads QLD 4220
APPOINTMENTS CAN BE MADE AT THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS
5/99 West Burleigh Rd, Burleigh Heads QLD 4220
Home and outreach visits in local Burleigh area conditions apply
Kirra Hill Community & Cultural Centre
1 Garrick St, Coolangatta QLD 4225
Monday to Friday – 9am to 5pm
Saturdays – 10am to 4pm